In This Day and Age
A Photographic Exploration of Motherhood, Parenting and Identity
Curated by Cynthia M. Miller
Featuring artwork by Linda Brooks, Anna Fritzel, H. Jennings Sheffield, Danielle René Khoury, Cynthia M. Miller Lupita Murillo-Tinnen, and Eti Wade.
The women photographers featured in the exhibition In This Day and Age, document their experiences with motherhood. The exhibition Curator and participating artist, Cynthia M. Miller, believes that we are constantly bombarded with images of what the media say are “good” and “bad” mothers. Those depictions, in her opinion, often leave out the voices of the mothers themselves. She expresses that the objectification of both the idealized and reviled mother takes away a real woman’s agency in creating her own identity. She adds that mothers who do not fit the media’s picture of what a mother should look like are often excluded completely.
Miller states that: “Rather than allowing other people to dictate to us what motherhood should look like, we choose to be active participants in creating our own identities as mothers. We perform these identities through our photography and, in performing them, create realities specific to our experiences of motherhood. The experiences of each individual mother give insight into what maternal identity is in this day and age.”
millerHow often does a mother find her own identity as a person? How do we created images and texts of and about motherhood and parenting that are honest and inclusive? This exhibition is an attempt to partially answer these questions.
March 11, 2017 to April 22, 20176:00pm
- Tuesday: 12 Noon to 6:00 pm (until 10:00 pm on evenings with theater performances)
- Wednesday: 12 Noon to 6:00 pm (until 10:00 pm on evenings with theater performances)
- Thursday: 12 Noon to 6:00 pm (until 10:00 pm on evenings with theater performances)
- Friday: 12 Noon to 6:00 pm (until 10:00 pm on evenings with theater performances)
- Saturday: 12 Noon to 6:00 pm (until 10:00 pm on evenings with theater performances)
Cynthia M. Miller