Director of Spain’s Prado museum to leave post after 15 years

Spain's Prado art museum said Wednesday its director Miguel Zugaza will leave his post in 2017 after a 15-year run that included the biggest expansion of the world-renowned gallery. Zugaza, 52, has decided to return to his previous job as director of Bilbao's Fine Arts Museum, which he held between 1995 and 2001, the Prado said in a statement. The Madrid museum, the home of masterpieces by Francisco Goya and Diego Velazquez, said Zugaza had told the culture ministry that he had achieved his goals and is "grateful for the all the support he received". Zugaza took charge of the Prado in 2002, vowing to double the number of visitors to the museum. Under his watch visitor numbers jumped from 1.7 million in 2002 to nearly 2.7 million last year. The museum hosted several blockbuster exhibits, including a display last year of the most and best works

Comments are closed.

Sign up for the DADA Newsletter